Banks, Export Credit Norway and other lenders are important partners when GIEK offers financial guarantees on behalf of the Norwegian government for the purpose of promoting Norwegian exports:
• GIEK provides long-term financing to buyers of Norwegian exports
• GIEK provides guarantees, not loans. The guarantees are provided to the lender, such as Export Credit Norway, or commercial banks and other financial institutions
• GIEK provides guarantees on behalf of the Norwegian government, rated AAA / Aaa
• GIEK follows the OECD rules, defining the maximum maturity and repayment profile, depending on the type of project
• GIEK normally requires that one or more commercial banks participate together with us, and our cooperation with banks include both structuring and documentation
• GIEK provides guarantees in various currencies
• GIEK participates on equal terms as banks, with e.g. same financial covenants and security package. GIEK participates in both secured and unsecured credit facilities
• GIEK can take a large stake in a facility, and cover up to 90 per cent of the Norwegian exports. However, GIEK often requires a more substantial participation from the bank, e.g. in shipping transactions GIEK typically covers 70 per cent of the loan
See list of GIEK issued guarantees.
Go to application forms and terms.